Nikwax TX.Direct® Wash-In-300ml
The No.1 easy to use, safe, high performance wash in waterproofing for wet weather clothing.
Adds Durable Water Repellency and revives breathability - in a washing machine.
Why Breathability depends upon water repellency...
Breathable waterproof garments are most likely to get sweaty and wet inside when used in damp or wet conditions. If the outer fabric absorbs water, the garment can lose up to 70% of its breathability. Therefore, the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) on the outer fabric of your jacket must be maintained to ensure comfort. It will eventually wear off and need to be renewed with Nikwax TX.Direct®.
- Waterproof clothing needs to be breathable: When we work hard, we sweat. The evaporation of sweat cools us down and keeps us comfortable. But, when it rains we want to avoid getting wet, so we put on waterproof outerwear to keep us dry.
The waterproof fabric must allow moisture vapour to pass through it, or 'breathe'; otherwise our sweat cannot evaporate, causing us to overheat and get wet from condensation. Additionally, if the outer fabric of your garment absorbs water and 'wets out' its breathability will be reduced, causing you to feel clammy and wet. Nikwax TX.Direct® adds Durable Water Repellency (DWR), which prevents water absorption, whilst maintaining breathability, keeping you dry and comfortable.
- Breathable waterproof clothing is for active, outdoor people: Anyone who is active outside in damp or wet conditions will benefit from breathable waterproof clothing. Whether you're a mountaineer, cyclist, dog walker, or you work outside as a farmer or surveyor, you will need good raingear.
Use Nikwax TX.Direct® when your raingear soaks up water
Your raingear could be soaking up water just because it is dirty. First, try cleaning it with Nikwax Tech Wash®, and if it is fairly new, or recently re-waterproofed, the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) will be revitalized just from cleaning. But, once the garment has been thoroughly worn, you will need to add DWR, using Nikwax TX.Direct®, after cleaning first with Nikwax Tech Wash®.
- Breathable raingear needs Nikwax TX.Direct® to maintain performance: Alternative waterproofing products are often solvent-based aerosols; alternatively, they may be water-based and use fluorocarbons. Aerosol products are flammable. Fluorocarbons pose a potential risk to the environment and to the long-term health of the consumer. Nikwax TX.Direct® is a safe product to use on breathable waterproof fabrics. It is WaterBased, non-flammable, contains no volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and is fluorocarbon free. Nikwax TX.Direct® has been specifically designed and optimized for breathable waterproof clothing, providing Durable Water Repellency (DWR) while maintaining breathability. Nikwax TX.Direct® requires no heat to develop its DWR, so it is not necessary to use a tumble drier for best results. As garments with taped seams get older the tape adhesion weakens, becoming more fragile and susceptible to heat, so it is best to avoid tumble drying.
- Cleaning properly can be as important as waterproofing: Using the right cleaning product is as important as using the right waterproofing product. Conventional detergents leave behind a thin water-absorbent film on materials, which masks their Durable Water Repellency (DWR). Therefore, always clean your waterproof garments with Nikwax Tech Wash®. Remember that dirt itself works against DWR, so regular cleaning will enhance performance.
About the brand
How we think...
Nikwax is still owned by its founder Nick Brown, an outdoor enthusiast who uses science to improve people's comfort and enjoyment of the natural world. But he is fully aware that if humankind is to continue enjoying what nature provides, then we all have to think hard about how we are going to protect it. This is the source of Nikwax's commitment to low impact products, and it's a commitment which over the years has drawn many like minded thinkers into the company.
We know we are not perfect, so a key part of our philosophy is to measure and understand our footprint so that we can hold ourselves to account. From CO2 emissions down to the chemicals which make up our products, we want to know what we are putting out there, and what its impact is likely to be. Nikwax applies a scientific approach that combines understanding, measurement and continuous improvement.
What we do...
Nikwax takes real action in a broad range of areas. From internal policies to reduce direct impacts, to external funding of conservation and education, we strive to live by our principles and set an example to the rest of the industry.
We know that we are working hard to reduce our environmental impact, but we also believe that consumers should have a healthy scepticism when it comes to companies' environmental claims. To promote a culture of transparency and public scrutiny, we have decided to share our environmental performance data online. Flattering or otherwise, we are laying it out for all to see, allowing the public to make their own minds up about our efforts.
- Conservation: Nikwax funds a variety of conservation projects around the world.
- Restricted Substances: Nikwax maintains a public list of the chemicals it excludes from its formulations.
- Fluorocarbons (PFCs): Nikwax never has and never will use PFCs in waterproofing products. Learn why fluorocarbon pollution should matter to everyone.
- Campaigning and Education: Nikwax engages with the wider society to help drive significant change.