Black+Blum Sandwich Box Large
The Black+ Blum 1.25L/ 42 fl oz stainless steel lunch box that makes it easy to take your food with you and even includes a bamboo lid that doubles as a chopping board.
- Anti-bacterial, natural bamboo lid
- Silicone strap for added security
- Includes a dishwasher safe silicone inner compartment
- Plastic free
- High quality stainless steel
This design came about after studying how people prepare and carry their sandwiches. People often use a chopping board to prepare their sandwiches and we thought it would be a lovely idea if the board could double as the lunch box platter and the steel cover is almost like an old fashioned cloche that then protects the sandwich from being squashed while on-the-go. It also meant there is one less thing to wash up in the morning. Researching other user habits, we found many people didn’t like tomatoes in their sandwich if it made their bread soggy, so the idea of chopping board lid, also meant that people could take their raw ingredients with them and then make a freshly prepared sandwich, which would taste better. This functionality of being able to take the bamboo chopping board/lid with you also meant the design could be used for other foods that don’t require a leakproof design, so it isn’t just for sandwiches. The combination of bamboo and stainless steel give the design a lovely timeless utilitarian feel and the colour accent of the silicone band is a nod to traditional Japanese bento boxes. We believe we were the first company to offer a lunch box design with a bamboo lid, but this has been copied by many other companies since.
Anti-bacterial Bamboo Lid Doubles as a Chopping Board
Use the naturally anti-bacterial bamboo lid as a chopping board to create your sandwiches or as a serving board to assemble the ingredients for a delectable meal later in the day.
Silicone Strap & Over-moulded Silicone Seal
The box base has an over-moulded silicone rim that's designed for a soft connection between bamboo and steel, and it’s easier to clean. The silicone strap holds your lunch securely in the box.
- Stainless steel (304/18-8), silicone, anti-bacterial bamboo.
- Weight: 430g/0.95Lbs
- Dimensions: L 19cm W 13.5cm H 7.5cm / L 7.48" W 5.31" H 2.95"
About the brand
Dan Black and Martin Blum met studying industrial design at Northumbria University. In 1998 they formed black+blum and based it in London, one of the most diverse and creative cities in the world. The company allowed them to express their passion and explore their originality for developing their own designs. The award winning designs were adventurous in diversity of category and aesthetic, but always consistently underpinned with unique form and function. In 2014 Dan took over the reins of the organisation and steered black+blum to focus on the ‘food & drink on-the-go’ category.
People who own black+blum products feel great about using them every day!
With rigorous attention to detail and a focus on sustainability, we design original products that inspire a sense of well-being
Sustainability & Longevity
We design our products with re-use and sustainability in mind, ensuring that they have a long life using eco-friendly materials where possible. We discourage single-use plastics and food waste
Health & Well-being
Our products encourage a healthy, enriching lifestyle.
Materials we use and why we use them
We choose our materials with great care and consideration in relation to how they are required to function and also their environmental impact.
- Bamboo: This sustainable crop is a fast-growing grass, which requires no fertiliser and self-regenerates from its own roots (so it doesn't need to be replanted) and regrows to its adult size in 3 to 5 years. It has a dense and consistent grain, which allows us to accurately cut it to size and is also naturally anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial. These attributes make it a perfect material for us to use as a lid/chopping board on some of our lunch boxes. We apply a natural mineral oil finish to seal it and if used and cared for properly, it will last a lifetime.
- Cardboard Packaging: All our product boxes are made from unbleached and uncoated cardboard. This makes them better for recycling (or even adding to your home compost to avoid filling your bin). When someone buys an individual product from our website, our warehouses will sometimes use recycled boxes or recycled filling material, to send these out rather than new outer boxes or new filling material. While this might not look as pristine (or the box might sometimes be a bit larger than the item inside), we believe it is the right thing to do.
- Charcoal: We use active charcoal as a natural water filter to remove contaminants and add good minerals to tap water. The skilled artisan makers follow a traditional Japanese technique to make the charcoal. They only prune and coppice the branches of their fast growing native trees and do not remove the roots. This means the trees can grow back, and be harvested again, in five year rotations. They source the wood local to their kilns and this ensures the forests where the wood grows is protected.
- Cork: We love using cork as a lid material on our vacuum insulated food thermoses lids of some of water bottles. It is renewable, biodegradable and 100% natural. It is obtained through an environmentally friendly harvesting process that ensures the tree’s continued life. It is also an excellent insulator which helps ensure that the contents of the vacuum jars stay hot (or cold) for hours on end.
- Glass: We use Borosilicate Glass in some of our bottles and lunch boxes. It is lightweight, strong and can withstand extreme temperatures (so safe for use in ovens, microwaves, freezers or dishwashers). It is also thermal shock resistant, so is more resistant to shattering when exposed to sudden temperature change. It is chemical resistant, taste neutral and free from lead and BPA free. It will age extremely well, will last a lifetime and is also 100% recyclable.
- Plastic: We use the word ‘plastic’ to describe the different types of polymers that we use in our designs. These include polypropylene, Tritan, and POM. Every time we use a plastic, we use it sparingly and responsibly. Sometimes, a specific plastic is the best material for the job required. We understand and agree with the backlash against plastic pollution, but this does not mean plastic should not be used at all. We make sure the plastics we do use are BPA, BPS and phthalate free, are fully recyclable and most importantly are designed to last. It might sound wrong, but we want our designs to last as long as possible, but when they do come to the end of their life, they can still be recycled.
- Silicone: We use high quality food safe silicone for our seals and some lunchbox lids designs in order to make them leak-proof. It is an extremely tough material that can withstand temperatures from as low as -60°C to over 150°C, so is safe for use in freezers, ovens, microwaves or dishwashers. It is considered an inert material so it won’t leach dangerous chemicals such as BPA, BPS, lead, latex, and phthalates into your food or drink. Although it is not biodegradable, this can be seen as a benefit as it does not break down into micro particles that can then enter the environment/food chain. It is fully recyclable but check first with your local recycling centre.
- Stainless Steel: We use high quality 304 – 18/8 stainless steel for its long-lasting durability and excellent resistance to corrosion and rust. It is also 100% recyclable. Most importantly it is a material that can last a lifetime and even improve with age and use. It may take on the odd scratch, dent, or patina, but this will only add to its character and charm. Every mark will tell a story and make the product unique to you.
- Wood Composite: We mix recycled and sustainably sourced (FSC and PEFC) wood with either polypropylene or TPR. This material can be recycled into itself but most importantly gives a highly durable finish that will age well. It increases the amount of bio based content in the polymer and also increases its perceived value as it will age better and not show scratches, stains or wear the same way that standard single colour pristine plastic does.